The D.W. Fearn VT-2 recreates the sound of classic tube preamps of the 1960s. Modern components and computer-optimized circuitry, unavailable during the vacuum tube era, elevate this design to a new level of performance. The transparency is astounding. Vocals sound smoother, warmer, more intimate, with a compelling presence. Any microphone and any sound will benefit from the improved clarity, definition, and lack of solid-state artifacts.
In designing the VT-2, no compromise in sonic quality, reliability, or ruggedness were permitted. like the best tube equipment of the 1950s and '60s, the VT-2 is built on a heavy-guage aluminum chassis, utilizing point-to-point wiring. Each vacuum tube is selected for minimum noise and microphonics, and maximum sonic clarity. The front panel switches control sealed, gold-contact precision relays for all audio switching, eliminating the possibility of dirty contacts degrading the sound and minimizing the internal audio path. Four class-A triode amplifier sections (in two tubes) in each channel comprise the entire active circuit. This surprisingly simple circuit, along with top-quality components and careful design optimization, results in the sonic superiority that the VT-2 has become known for.
All over the globe, VT-2 preamps are in daily use in the world's best studios, as well as in home project studios, helping many top recording artists achieve the best possible sound.
- All vacuum-tube design
- Clean and airy high end
- Fat low end
- Unsurpassed warmth, transparency, and musicality
- Lo-Z input position for superior performance with transformerless mics
- +48 volt phantom power (completely disconnected when off)
- Custom-design Jensen input and output transformers for superb sonics
- - 20 dB input pad (switchable)
- True VU meters (amplifier isolated)
- All point-to-point audio wiring
- High-performance, fully-regulated power supplies with exceptional reserve
- Gold input and output XLR connectors
- Polypropylene and polystyrene coupling capacitors
- All audio switching through gold-contact, sealed precision relays
- International operation on 100, 120, or 220 VAC, 50/60 Hz
- CE certified, RoHS-compliant
- +4 dBm output
- Conservatively rated precision components and rugged construction for stability and long life
- Line-level processing with the LP-1 line pad accessory
- Single-channel version D.W. Fearn VT-1 also available
- Direct recording of electric instruments with the D.W. Fearn VT-3 Vacuum Tube DI or PDB Passive Direct Box