Designed for mid-scale commercial recording and production facilities, the AWS is available with 16 inputs (AWS 916), 24 inputs (AWS 924) or 48 inputs (AWS 948) within a compact 24 fader frame. The AWS 916 has 16 mic pre's, the AWS 924 and 948 have 24 mic pre's. The AWS 916 & 924 have mono channel strips and the 948 has stereo/dual mono channel strips that offer a second line level input per channel to provide 48 summing channels. All models deliver pristine SuperAnalogue™ summing, 24 ultra-clean SSL SuperAnalogue mic pre's, classic SSL dual curve EQ on every channel, two assignable SSL Dynamics channels, legendary Stereo Buss Compressor, TotalRecall™ and full 5.1 monitoring. In addition to on board classic SSL Automation, all models feature the new d-Ctrl system. You can read more about delta-Control here.
The AWS also features Ethernet connectivity for streamlined hardware control over your entire Digital Audio Workstation environment. AWS delivers elegant, ergonomic physical control with dedicated heavy duty DAW transport, V-Pot multifunction encoders with position indicating LED's, Digital Scribble Strips, DAW fader mode, global and channel routing control and built-in TFT display for advanced plug-in editing. Project Session Management is kept simple through SSL's proprietary Logictivity interface.
The AWS is an SSL SuperAnalogue™ console, featuring the audio performance specifications that have established the benchmarks by which other manufacturers are measured. Exceptionally low THD, noise floor & crosstalk levels keep your audio absolutely pristine, while our legendary headroom carries every nuance of your audio and allows engineers to mix 'hotter' without distortion.
- Combination of SuperAnalogue™ console and advanced DAW controller
- SSL SuperAnalogue™ mix bus provides pristine audio foundations
- SSL SuperAnalogue mic pre's provide transparent record path
- Innovative Dual Path Channel with three versatile operating modes (948 only)
- 48 inputs on AWS 948;
- IN-LINE TRACKING = 1 mic + 1 line inputs per channel
- IN-LINE MIX = 2 x mono line inputs per channel
- STEREO MIX = 1 x stereo line input per channel
- NEW! delta-Control advanced integration of console and DAW automation.
- AWSomation SSL motorized fader mix automation based on the heritage of G and K series Ultimation
- Versatile 4 band channel EQ, assignable Dynamics and SSL Master Bus Compressor
- 4-Band EQ design with independent E/G curve switching of HF/LF (Stereo on 948 only)
- 5.1 Surround monitoring and Monitor calibration including Bass management
- MIDI over Ethernet multi layer DAW workstation control
- Digital Scribble Strips for console and DAW data
- Elegant project setup via SSL Logictivity Remote Browser and SD card storage
- SSL's unique trademarked TOTAL RECALL™ system with 'TR Autoscan'
- Responsible 'green' manufacturing and reduced power consumption
- Compact 24 fader frame ideal for small control rooms
SSL Delta-Control (d-Ctrl)
The Delta-Control is a unique new SSL console automation system unites the very best of automation in the analogue console domain with DAW based workflow.
d-Ctrl is a native AAX/RTAS/VST/VST3 plug-in that allows automation of AWS as if it were a DAW Plug-in. The automation system in the DAW is used to record and playback control data from the faders and switches on the console as an alternative to using the SSL legacy automation system in the console. The d-Ctrl plug-in is inserted into a DAW mixer audio channel. The plug-in then receives and sends control data from an assigned AWS channel, VCA or Master fader via a high speed Ethernet Network connection. Audio on the DAW track passes through the plug-in slot unprocessed so the plug-in can be combined with other DAW plug-ins. The console Fader, mutes and relevant switches are represented as plug-in parameters in a d-Ctrl plug-in GUI and their automation data is recorded to the automation lane of the selected DAW channel. In playback the plug-in converts the stored automation data from the DAW into d-Ctrl messages and routes these back to the console via the SSL Logictivity Network connection.
Automation data can be viewed and edited as normal plug-in data in the DAW tracks. The console Fader Absolute and Trim values are saved using the same dB law as your selected DAW automation so that the ‘Paste Special’ command can be used to copy existing DAW fader data into the plug-in. d-Ctrl retains all the key operational elements of SSL’s Signature Mix System with much loved features such as JOIN, REVISE, MOTORS OFF and SNAP Override all actions from dedicated front panel switches. The MOTORS OFF mode offers the full non-moving fader SSL VCA mix experience as preferred by key industry re-mixers. A new MOTORS OFF, Touch Write mode emulates the SSL G Series Mix system Immediate Pickup (IP) option. d-Ctrl also works with SSLDuality delta consoles.
The d-Ctrl plug-in uses iLok2 encryption. An iLok2 is not supplied with the console or upgrades. Five plug-in licenses are included with a console or upgrade purchase and additional licenses can be purchased form the SSL Online Store.
About d-Ctrl and Logic
Currently there isn't an AU d-Ctrl plug for use in Logic. During beta testing of the d-Ctrl automation system SSL uncovered a significant limitation in the way Logic handles automation data from the delta-control plug-in. For this reason, we put on hold our plans to release an AU version for use with Logic. SSL is researching ways to overcome this limitation and we will make an announcement of an AU delta-ctrl plug-in in due course.
We have many financing options to choose from. Contact us today and let us help you own this amazing console!
* Monthly payment shown above is an estimate. Please contact us for more information.
Check out this SSL AWS 924/948 Review in TapeOp!