With a completely configurable AD/DA, a converter for any situation can be realized. If you just mix, load up the B80 with 8 BDA8 cards for 64 channels of mind blowing fidelity. If you track live, 6 BAD4 cards will give you 24 B2 quality inputs, and 4 BDA8 cards gives you 32 channels of outputs. Rocking.
Digital interconnect is also completely configurable, and controlled by a swappable motherboard.
The first offering of the B80 digital motherboard, the BMB1, comes standard with two Digi-link connectors for direct hookup to Pro Tools. Burl Audio does away with the expansion port, making both primary ports. That means you can play 64 DAC channels straight out of Pro Tools with one unit! No more cascading units with multiple word clocks. All channels can run off of one internal master clock. Good bye word clock generator! Of course if you do need more channels, multiple units run flawlessly with tight clocking.
The technology that makes this possible is the Burl BackBone. The Burl BackBone is a high bandwidth backplane delivering incredible digital audio throughput. The Burl BackBone also delivers large amounts of power to the analog sections. Master clock travels directly to each converter eliminating the need for individual PLLs.
The B80 Mothership is the result of over five years of tireless research and development. The no compromise, no BS design strategy is immediately apparent in the build quality. The 4U, steal enclosure is truly impressive. No plastic, no layers of menus, everything is meant to be used easily with zero hassle. Configuring a B80 is literally a snap. All you do is slide the card down its card guide, snap it in the Burl BackBone, turn the hand screws, and you're there.
Powering a unit like the B80 Mothership takes some juice, so we designed the BP250 to drive the 80 channels of class-A analog circuitry. With a 250 watt continuous power capability, and +/- 24 volt rails, a multi-channel AD/DA converter is finally getting the power it deserves.
For complete control of all of the B80 signal routing, and stand alone metering, a USB port has been included. This is not an audio interface, it is strictly for control. A future touch screen control will plug in here. The flexibility of the B80 design allows for a smooth integration and upgrade path.
Burl Audio's intention with the B80 is to create one main chassis that takes care of virtually any music, broadcast or film recording situation, revolutionizing pro audio as we know it. In this digital era, many yearn for the tone of records past, and analog tape is becoming a lost art. The B80 Mothership clearly bridges this analog to digital gap.
- 4U main chassis
- BMB1, motherboard
- 2 Digi-link connectors
- 1 BNC Word Clock In
- 2 BNC Word Clock Out
- 10 card slots
- All slots accept AD/DA, AES, MADI
- 2, 4, and 8 channel analog cards
- BP250, 250 watt, 1U power supply
BAD4, 4-channel ADC
- 44.1k Hz to 192k Hz, 24 bit, 4 channel ADC
- Exact same circuit path as B2 Bomber ADC
- All class A, discrete transistors signal path with zero feedback, zero caps
- 4 XLR connectivity
BDA8, 8-channel DAC
- 44.1k Hz to 192k Hz, 24 bit, 8 channel ADC
- Circuit path based on B2 Bomber DAC
- Latest Burl Audio BOPA2, OP-AMP
- All class A, discrete transistors signal path, zero caps
- DSUB 25 connectivity
Future cards, features
- BMADI card with 64 channels at 48kHz, and 32 channels at 96kHz, (Spring 2011)
- BAES, 16 channel AES/EBU (summer 2011)
- USB control (summer 2011)
- BBAD8, Blackface, low-cost, transformerless 8 channel ADC card for film/broadcast
- BBAD8, Blackface, low-cost, 8 channel DAC card for film/broadcast
- BWORD, 8 BNC word clock output card for word clock distribution
- BSUM, summing bus, summing all DAC outputs
- BCONTROL, control room monitor
- BMIC2, two channel Mic Pre / AD
- BSYNC, time code synchronization