Today, Shadow Hills, Universal Audio, and Brainworx, unveiled a brand-new addition to the impressive UAD plug-in lineup — a UAD-compatible version of the renowned Shadow Hills Mastering Compressor. The hardware version is used by scores of top engineers, producers, and mastering pros — and we're proud to have been a fan from day one. In fact, VK's own Jeff Ehrenberg and his studio partner commissioned the very first Mastering Compressor. The bottom line is, if you've ever considered going UAD, you now have one more, really big reason — because from what we've heard so far, the UAD Mastering Compressor sounds fantastic. If you're interested in the plug-in, you need either a UAD card or an Apollo interface to run it. We'd be glad to answer your questions and help you make the transition to UAD.
Here's the press release from UA:
“The Shadow Hills Mastering Compressor hardware is capable of delivering so much character and color, from subtle to very dramatic. It was important to me that any plug-in emulation provided the same sonic experience,” said Shadow Hills’ Peter Reardon. “Thankfully, the team at Brainworx and Universal Audio have faithfully brought this hardware product to life in the digital world.”
As the go-to compressor on recordings by Muse, Gnarls Barkley, Coldplay, John Mayer, Regina Spektor, and more, the Shadow Hills Mastering Compressor features a world-class signal path, controlling music dynamics in two stages — first with an Optical section, then with a Discrete (VCA) section. Both sections can be bypassed, providing a variety of compression sounds (Optical, Discrete, and combined) from a velvet touch to an iron fist.
Like the hardware version, the Shadow Hills Mastering Compressor plug-in offers selection of three distinct output transformers (Nickel, Iron, and Steel) — taking the signal from “clean” to “colored” and “dirty” — as if selecting from the output stages of three distinct classic analog consoles.
Whether employed on a vocal chain, drum buss, or on the master fader, the Shadow Hills Mastering Compressor’s unique control and character will inspire creativity.
Shadow Hills Mastering Compressor Plug-In Features:
- Meticulous emulation of the Shadow Hills Mastering Compressor, licensed and endorsed by Peter Reardon
- Created by Brainworx, developed exclusively for the UAD Powered Plug-Ins platform
- Separate Optical and Discrete (VCA) dynamics sections for two-stage serial dynamics control
- Transformer matrix switches between Nickel, Iron, and Steel output transformers — like selecting between 3 distinct vintage console outputs
- 90Hz sidechain filtering for musical compression of low-frequency program material
- Large, accurate VU meters provide Optical, Discrete, or Output gain views
- Custom presets created by Shadow Hills founder and designer Peter Reardon
Available as part of the upcoming UAD Software v6.3.2 release, scheduled for early November, the Shadow Hills Mastering Compressor will be available for $299 USfrom UA’s Online Store.