The AEA N22 is the first member of AEA's NUVO series of microphones. Rooted in the RCA tradition just like other AEA ribbons, all NUVO microphones are designed to offer a fresh approach to the ribbon transducer and represent Wes Dooley's take on the evolution of the ribbon microphone.
- Two N22 microphones
- Laser-engraved template bar with all the hardware needed to set up Blumlein or other stereo configurations
- Two custom Nuvo windscreens made by Windtech
- High-quality SKB carrying case with foam inserts
- Specifically designed for singer-songwriters, musicians, and home studios
- Top end clarity of a condenser with a ribbon’s smoothness
- Custom German toroidal transformer for 12dB more gain
- Highly protected ribbon for close-up use and live use with minimal proximity effect
- Phantom powered electronics for optimal performance with any preamp
A NUVO Approach to the Ribbon Mic
The AEA N22 was designed with the singer-songwriter musician in mind. Hard working artists that have honed their musical craft for years feel strongly about their personal tone, so they need a microphone that translates their signature sound in a recording. The N22 delivers on exactly those key points - providing a great ribbon tone without the need for EQ in most applications. Just like the RCA 44, the N22 was designed by listening first and measured only after experienced musicians and engineers confirmed that the microphone sounded great. Consequently, it is a professional tool that holds up to the highest standards of recording. Bridging the gap between vintage and modern, ribbon and condenser, studio and live, the N22 is the perfect companion for musicians and engineers alike.
Featuring the same Big RibbonTM technology that has earned AEA its reputation, the N22 offers an incredible sound in close-mic applications like acoustic and electric guitars, piano, vocals, and drums. With phantom-powered JFET electronics and a custom German transformer, the N22 achieves optimal performance with a wide range of preamps including USB or Firewire audio interfaces in home or project studio setups. The highly protected pure aluminum ribbon allows for using the N22 in live sound applications and vocal recording without the need for an additional pop-filter. The simplicity and the ease of use of the entire package allows the focus to be on capturing a great performance even in tight and difficult recording environments.
Word on the Street
"The mics are a huge success! Our monitor guy and FOH guy want to have a pair each... :)"
-Hanan Rubinstein, Alicia Keys' guitar player