Originally designed as a "distortion box" to simulate distortion in valve amps, the Thermionic Culture Vulture
has found lots of uses beyond this. We know that some owners use them on drum loops, vocals, piano sounds and even across entire tracks (it is a stereo unit).
We have refined this so that distortion figures are reduced to only 0.2% at lowest to about 99.9% (at least that's what our distortion meter tells us!). Predominant distortion can be changed from even to odd harmonics with a simple switch. We know it's recently been rented to mix a JAMES BOND movie!
Warm sounds gently or create a noise like a 200 watt guitar stack with all the drivers slashed.
Independent channel operation
Some Cultured users...
- Odd or even harmonic distortion, or combination of both.
- All valve design free from solid state additives.
- High impedance line input or instrument inputs.
- 4 & 7 kHz filters
- Overdrive & bypass switches
Because of their unique blend of flexibility, musicality, and usability, brought about as a result of being hand-built by some of the worlds leading pro audio valve equipment designers and engineeers, Thermionic Culture products attract their fair share of high profile, industry leading producers and engineers from the world of recording technology. Here is just a handful - why not add your name to the list?
- Tony Maserati - Culture Vulture
- Black Dog Productions - Earlybird 2.2, Pullet, Phoenix Mastering Compressor, Culture Vulture.
- Al Schmitt - Phoenix
- Big Life Music - Phoenix Master Compressor
- Steve Dub Jones - Earlybird 2
- The Dairy - Phoenix
- Al Stone - Culture Vulture
- ROBERT CARRANZA - PRODUCER FOR LOS LOBOS, SUPER GRASS, JACK JOHNSON - CULTURE VULTURE
- PABLO MUNGUIA - ROBBIE WILLIAMS - PHOENIX & CULTURE VULTURE
- STEPHEN STREET - KAISER CHIEFS - CULTURE VULTURE
- JAMES FORD - PRODUCER - ARTIC MONKEYS - CULTURE VULTURE
- GROOVE ARMADA - EARLYBIRD & CULTURE VULTURE MASTERING - " Both myself and Tom Findlay bought the Earlybird and the Culture Vulture Mastering, they're like your first mobile phone, once you've used them for a week you wondered how you ever liver without them!" Andy Cato - Groove Armada.
- Larry Hammel - Producer, Deepwave Music Productions, Earlybird 2.2 and Phoenix
- Peter Katis
- Chemical Brothers - Culture Vulture Mastering MV & Phoenix
"The vulture it distorts synths in a truly beautiful way-we used to acheive this effect thru a long,convoluted process now we can get this great sound at a flick of a switch!" - Tom Rowlands
- Peter Gabriel - Real World Studios - Culture Vulture
- Alan Moulder -Producer/Engineer The Jesus & Mary Chain, Swervedriver, My Bloody Valentine,Depeche Mode, Nine Inch Nails Downward Spiral, U2's Pop.
- Mike Caffrey
- Steve 'Dub' Jones - Engineer/Producer - Chemical Brothers, Madness. Culture Vulture Mastering MV & Phoenix
- Tom Findlay - Groove Armada - Earlybird-2, Phoenix
- Pietro Taucher - Engineer for Sharrie Williams
- Paisley Park
- Tie Dye Keith
- Jerry Harrison and Eric Thorngren (Talking Heads)
- Peter Katis
- Jimmy Boyle
- Kevin Bacon ( Axis Studios, recent credits include Jaimeson )
- Angel Mountain Studios
- Andy Strange ( recent credits include Robbie Williams )
- David Ives
- Bernard Butler
- Tony Hoffer ( Beck , Turin Breaks )
- Edwyn Collins
- Mick Jones
- The Libertines
- Mark 'Spike¹ Stent ( U2, Madonna, Oasis )
- Ken Nelson ( Badly Drawn Boy, Coldplay )
- Dave Gilmour
- The Prodigy
- Hugh Jones
- Strong Room Studios
- Air Studios
- Mute Records
- Ross Hogarth - "Mondo distorto! dude, i like your box a lot...really liked the musicality of it!"
- San Francisco Soundworks
- “La Source” Mastering suite - Paris France
- Yves Jaget
- Bertrand Blais producer of Etienne Daho
- Wisseloord Mastering